Adoption Choices for Prospective Parents in Oklahoma
Adopting a child is one of the most blessed times in a person’s life. Some people choose to adopt because they are unable to carry a pregnancy, while others adopt their spouse’s child. No matter the reason, prospective parents should explore their adoption options before proceeding.
Oklahoma law permits married couples over the age of 21, as well as non-married individuals over 21, to become adoptive parents. The general requirements include the ability to financially provide for the child, no history of abuse, the ability to provide adequate living space, good health and the capability to love and accept a child. Oklahoma residents can adopt a child through a/an:
- Agency Adoption – Placement of child by a public or private agency
- Independent Adoption – Placement of child by a direct arrangement between birth and adoptive parents or through an intermediary such as a clergyperson, doctor or attorney
- Open adoption – Birth parents maintain contact with adoptive parents
- Closed adoption – Adoptive parents do not maintain contact with the birth parents
- International adoption – Adopted child is a resident of a foreign country
- Kinship adoption – Child is adopted by a blood relative or non-blood relative
- Step-parent adoption – Child is adopted by a step-parent
- Adult adoption – Adoption of a person over the age of 18
Consulting with an adoption attorney in Oklahoma City can help you decide the best course of action for your particular situation. Each adoption route carries its own set of rules and requirements. International adoptions can be especially tricky. Be certain to follow procedures carefully to avoid any future problems.
Contact the team at Denker & Butler now
Adoptive processes often include a medical examination, background checks, reference checks, fingerprinting and more. Contact a team of highly qualified adoption lawyers in Oklahoma City to guide you through the journey. Soon you will be able to welcome a new child into your life, bringing along all the love and joy in the world.