Road Traffic Accidents: Do’s And Don’ts
Road traffic accidents occur all-too frequently. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that in 2009, more than 2.3 million adult passengers and drivers received emergency treatment due to injuries received in a motor vehicle crash.
If you are injured in an auto accident, by taking the following simple measures, you can help maximize your chances of recovery in a claim.
- Call the police and obtain a copy of the report.
- Seek medical treatment and get a copy of the medical report — for severe injuries, you may need urgent medical care, but even if your injuries appear to be minor, you should make a note of your symptoms and see a doctor as soon as you can.
- Take lots of photos of the accident site — your cell phone camera is sufficient.
- Exchange insurance information and contact details with other drivers involved in the accident.
- Take down contact details for any witnesses.
- Make a note of what happened while your memory is still fresh.
- Report the accident to your insurer.
- Keep a record of any time you need to take off work.
- Keep relevant invoices or receipts.
- Admit fault to anyone.
- Sign a release or agree to any settlement without first obtaining the advice of an experienced civil litigation attorney.
If you were injured in an auto accident, obtaining the right legal representation is very important. Contact a savvy and passionate civil litigation attorney at Denker & Butler P.L.L.C. to help ensure you receive fair compensation.